2023-2024 Budget for Menands Union Free School District
*If you need this in an accessible format, please reach out to District Clerk Liz Mentiply by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Overarching District Goals
Student Achievement and Success
Our school community will provide the necessary supports and opportunities for proficiency and success among our students. Faculty and staff will have the knowledge and skills to develop and implement curriculum and instruction that meet the unique needs of all learners.
Social Emotional Learning
We are committed to the development of the whole child by engaging students, staff, and families in opportunities that create and foster a safe and supportive school community.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity
Recognizing the diversity of our student body, the MUFSD is committed to the growth and development of our school community to provide an equitable education for all students that eliminates race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, sexuality and disability as predictors of student success, and creates a community where all members feel valued.
To prudently manage existing district resources to maximize opportunities for students aligned with district goals while advocating for increased funding to better support the needs of our school community.
Keep in mind
- We will budget from the perspective of what we know to be true at this moment in time.
- There is no doubt this will change as we move throughout the budget process.
- We want to be mindful of the COVID funding that will be sunsetting.
What Will Shape Our Process
- What do our students need?
- In consideration of what has changed
- What do we want for our students?
- Not limited to academics
- How can we accommodate both?
- Operations and Maintenance & Physical Plant Needs
What to Expect at this Workshop
- Overview of the Governor’s Proposed Budget
- Tax Cap Calculation
- Factors Influencing Budget Development
The Executive Budget Proposal
- For the second year in a row an improvement over what we have come to expect – welcome news
- Continued commitment to fully fund Foundation Aid (*BUT . . .)
- No mention of eliminating or combining expense based aids (*BUT . . .)
The budget as proposed coupled with current COVID funding continues to provide opportunities to address student, staff and facility needs, and plan and prepare for future years, when current funding sources are no longer available.
Governor’s Proposed Budget
Adjustments to proposed budget
Tax Cap Calculation
- Board/District Goals and Strategic Plan
- Student, Staff & Facility Needs
- Things we would like to do
Uncertainties & Unknowns
- Special Education Needs and Associated Costs
- Enrollment and Staffing
- BOCES Final Service Request
Our Efforts to Date
- Advocacy with Assemblyman Steck Scheduled
- Legislative Breakfast
- Senator Ashby Visit
- Participated in opportunities to “unpack” the information to date
- State Aid Planning Webinar- Wednesday, February 8
- Review of NYSCOSS Summary- Thursday, February 9
- BOCES Superintendents Legislative Meeting- Thursday, February 9
- SBO Monthly Meeting Overview- Friday, February 10
- NYSSBA Capital Conference- Friday, February 10
What to Expect at the Next Workshop on March 13
- Any Updated Information out of the Capital/Governor’s Office
- 2023-2024 Draft 1 Budget