It is hard to believe we are just weeks away from the opening of the 2021-22 school year. We have been busy preparing for our students and teachers to return and are excited for our first day of classes on Thursday, Sept. 9. School begins at 8:10 a.m. and students are dismissed at 3:03 p.m.
Like last year, some documents, such as the code of conduct and school supply lists, can be found on our website. For any reason, if you would like a printed copy, please call Ms. Mentiply at (518) 465-4561 ext. 119 and we can arrange for you to pick it up or put it in the mail. Once our community calendars arrive, they will be sent home with students.
Any forms that need to be completed and returned were sent home in the mail and are copied on yellow paper. The exception is the “blue notes.” They are only required when a child’s dismissal procedure is different on a particular day. Please send all completed forms into school with your child on the first day. Please sign and return those pages by Monday, Sept. 20.
Below are details about what is enclosed and we ask for your careful attention to what is required and needs to be returned to us. All back-to-school forms that need to be returned can be viewed and printed here.
Forms to be returned:
- Menands Union Free School District – Student Information Sheet: Included in the packet is a Student Information Sheet with the current information we have on file. Please review the sheet and update any information that has changed and fill in any missing information. A few important points in this regard:
- Your child’s teacher is indicated on this form. For middle school students, the teacher listed is his/her homeroom teacher.
- Emergency Contacts have to be someone other than the parents/guardians. We always call parents/guardians first. We use the emergency contacts when we are unable to contact a parent/guardian.
- Acknowledgment of the Menands School Student Code of Conduct (The code of conduct can be found here.)
- Menands Union Free School District – Arrival and Dismissal Procedures: Like last year, our arrival and dismissal procedures are different to account for COVID 19 safety procedures. Be sure to review the new procedures. On this form, you will also indicate how your child will get to and from school. On days that it changes, you will need to send in a blue note for students in grades K-5.
- Student Health History Update
- Application for Free and Reduced School Meals/Milk: For the 2021-22 school year, all students are eligible for free breakfast and lunch. However, we are asking families to still complete the Application for Free and Reduced School Meals/Milk. This application is tied to many of our federal funding grants so it is important that all families complete the form and return it.
- Menands School Cafeteria Form: While school meals are free, the snacks in the cafeteria are still at a cost to families. Please complete the form so our cafeteria staff knows if your child is allowed to purchase snacks and if they have any allergies or special considerations.
- Instructional Technology Form: We rely on parents to partner with us to promote digital citizenship among our students and reinforce best practice and policies in this regard. You and your student must sign and return the agreement before a chrome book will be issued.
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA) Membership: At Menands School we have very active PTA, which provides many wonderful opportunities for our students. Parent involvement is integral to the success of our PTA. Please consider continuing or becoming a member if you have not done so in the past. Membership is annual and must be renewed each year. Families can join online at https://menandsschool.memberhub.store/
- Menands 2021-2022 Calendar – The community calendar will be sent home during the first weeks of school.
- My School Bucks – My school bucks is an online, contactless payment system. Information is enclosed for you to create an account and use this payment method.
- Annual Notifications
- Parent Frequently Asked Questions
- Menands School After School Clubs and Sports
- Menands School Breakfast and Lunch Information
- Letter to Parents for School Meal Programs (free and reduced meal application directions)
- Please note, everyone gets free meals this year but we still need the form completed for federal funding purposes.
- 2021-2022 Elementary and Intermediate Level Testing Schedule
- Colonie Youth Center (CYC) Registration and Financial Information (before/aftercare program). Morning care begins at 7 a.m. and after care goes until 6 p.m. Information regarding registration and the cost is included.
- 2021 Menands School PTA Mum Sale
- Health and Dental Examination Requirements
- When to Notify the School Nurse
- COVID 19 Information and Return to School Requirements
- Please note, the procedures and requirements to return are from the Albany County Department of Health. We know they can put families in a difficult situation with employers but as a school, we are required to follow them. As requirements and guidance are updated, we will communicate them to families.
- Blue Notes – They must be completed for students in grades K-5 when there is a change in dismissal procedures for your child.
- Transportation: Durham School Services will continue to provide most of our students’ transportation to and from school. You will receive a postcard directly from Durham with your child’s transportation information, including the stop location, drop off and pick up times. If you have transportation questions you should contact Durham directly at (518) 237-4514. If after speaking with them you need further assistance, please call Sue McCormick at 518-465-4561 ext. 101.
In the event you have more than one child attending Menands School, you will receive a separate mailing for each child. As always, if you have any questions or need assistance I can be reached at 518-465-4561 ext. 119 or firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to welcoming all of our students back in a few short weeks!