Appointment for a Vacated Board Seat Beginning September 2022 through May 16th, 2023
The Menands Union Free School District Board of Education is seeking to fill a vacancy on the Board for the seat previously held by Andi Delancy, who recently resigned effective June 28th. New York State law allows school boards to fill such vacancies by appointment until the next regular election on May 16th, 2023.
The appointment will be for a term of approximately nine months, from September 2022 through May 16th, 2023. If the appointed person wishes to complete the remainder of Ms. Delancy’s five-year term, ending on June 30th, 2026, they would need to file a petition and run for election in May, along with any other interested candidates.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen and a resident of the school district for at least one year prior to the appointment. The Board invites community members to submit a letter of interest and resume, as well as any other supporting documentation that may be helpful in the selection process no later than Wednesday August 31st, 2022.
The New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA) notes that School Board members should possess the following traits to be an effective member:
- Effective Communicator: Can describe what he or she wants and describe what others want; a good listener
- Consensus Builder: Capable of working toward decisions that all can support and willing to compromise to achieve goals
- Community Participant: Enjoys meeting a variety of people, can identify the community’s key communicators and reaches out to the community
- Decision Maker: Is comfortable making decisions and can support group decision-making
- Information Processor: Can organize priorities and schedules to handle large amounts of verbal and written information
- Leader: Willing to take risks, be supportive of board colleagues, district staff and community
- Team Player: Helps promote the board’s vision and goals
For more information, please watch this quick video and visit the NYSSBA website to learn more about the process of becoming a Board member.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of intent and supporting documents by Wednesday August 31st, 2022 to District Clerk Liz Mentiply, Menands UFSD, 19 Wards Lane, Menands, NY 12204. Candidates may also submit materials to email@example.com.
At a date yet to be determined, interested candidates will be interviewed. in order to fill the seat as soon as possible.
For more information on the Board vacancy, please contact District Clerk Liz Mentiply at (518) 465-4561 ext. 101.