Public schools are among the most significant investments that any community makes collectively. District leaders work to make the most effective use of resources to benefit students, to develop and manage the budget in a responsible and transparent manner, and to be accountable to taxpayers. Each spring the Board of Education adopts a budget for the coming school year for a community vote, which is held on the third Tuesday in May.
Current Year Budget (2019-20) Information
On Tuesday, May 21, 2019, Menands voters approved the 2019-20 budget by a vote of 80 in favor and 26 opposed.
- Proposed budget: $9,038,667
- Proposed spending increase: 3.53 percent
- Proposed tax levy increase: 3.75 percent Budget Statement 2019-2020 : if you have any trouble accessing this document, please contact Jeanne Mentiply at email@example.com an alternative version will be provided for you.
2020-21 Budget Development Schedule
The following schedule is subject to change. Additional Budget Workshops may be added if necessary. Any dates and content are subject to change based on information available.
- December 9 – Present Draft 2020-21 Budget Calendar
- January 13 – Budget Workshop – Discuss Parameters, Updates/Projections
- February 3 – Budget Workshop – 2020-21 Budget Draft 1, Tax Cap if applicable
- March 1 – 2020-21 Calculation for Tax Levy limit to the Office of the State Comptroller, Tax and Finance & SED
- March 9 Budget Workshop – 2020-21 Draft 2
- April 7 – Budget Workshop – Final Draft of the 2020-21 Budget
- April 22 – Budget Workshop – 2020-21 Adopt the Budget
- April 23 – Property Tax Report Card/Administrator Salary Disclosure Due
- May 11 – Budget Workshop – Budget Hearing
- May 12 – Budget Notice Mailed – Final Budget Available
- May 19 – Budget Vote
- Final Budget 2018-2019: $8,730,680
- Spending Increase: 2.14 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 3.25 percent
- Final Budget 2017-2018: $8,548,159
- Spending Increase: 2.54 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 1.81 percent
- Final Budget 2016-2017: $8,336,436
- Spending Increase: 3.41 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 1.36 percent
Residents across New York State go to the polls on the third Tuesday each May to vote on the annual school budget and elect members to the Board of Education. Voters must be 18 years old, United States citizens, and have resided in the district for at least 30 days prior to the vote. You do not need to be pre-registered in order to vote, but personal identification may be requested at the polls.
Absentee ballot information
Absentee ballots are available for residents who will be out of town or unable to vote at the polls due to illness or disability. Please note the following deadlines for absentee ballots. To request an absentee ballot, please contact the District Clerk by phone at (518) 465-4561, Ext. 106 or in-person at the District Office, 19 Wards Ln, Menands.
- If you are requesting an absentee ballot by mail: Absentee ballots must be requested by May 11 if the ballot is to be mailed.
- If you are requesting an absentee ballot in person: Absentee ballots must be requested by the day before the vote (May 18) if you are picking up the ballot in person.
- Deadline for absentee ballots: All absentee ballots must be returned by 4 p.m. on the day of the vote (May 19).
The STAR Program
Homeowners who meet certain eligibility requirements through the New York State School Tax Relief Program – STAR – can have a portion of their home’s assessed value exempt from school property taxes. Learn more about the STAR program.