2022-23 Budget Information
On April 11, the Board of Education of the Menands Union Free School District adopted the 2022-23 budget proposal of $10,821,622. Eligible Menands residents will vote on this budget proposal on Tuesday, May 17.
All public schools in New York state are required to report appropriations in three categories: administrative, program and capital. The following data show how Menands budget breaks down under this formula:
Program Budget: $8,255,895 (76.29%)
Capital Budget: $1,408,044 (13.01%)
Administrative Budget: $1,157,683 (10.70%)
Vote date: Tuesday, May 17
Polling location: Menands School, 19 Wards Lane
Vote time: Noon to 8 p.m.
Please note: Absentee ballots must be received by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 17.
On the ballot
Also on the ballot are the following:
- Proposition to adjust the length of the Board of Education member term from five to four years
- Proposition to establish a Capital Reserve Fund, which will allow the district to plan for future facility needs with a minimal local tax impact
- Voters will select two candidates for two open seats on the Board of Education
- Voters will decide on the Menands Public Library’s proposed budget of $148,343, reflecting no tax levy increase
- Voters will select a candidate for the library’s Board of Trustees. There is one vacancy, and Marci Murphy is the sole candidate
2022-23 Budget Calendar
- Jan. 10: Present Draft 2022-23 Budget Calendar
- Feb. 14: Budget Workshop- Preliminary Budget and Tax Cap Discussion (starts at 1:04:20)
- March 1: Submit 2022-23 Calculation for Tax Levy limit to the State Comptroller, Tax and Finance and SED
- March 14: Budget Workshop- 2022-23 Draft 1 (Starts at 1:00:27)
- *April 5: Budget Workshop- 2022-23 Draft 2 (Starts at 51:20)
- *April 11: Budget Workshop- 2022-23 Adopt the Budget and Approval of the Property Tax Report Card
- April 12: Submit Property Tax Report Card/Administrator Salary Disclosure Due
- May 2: Budget Statement and Attachments made available
- May 9: Budget Workshop-Budget Hearing
- May 10: Mail Budget Newsletter including Budget Notice and Property Tax Report Card
- May 17: Budget Vote
*Additional Budget Workshop meetings
Schedule is subject to change. Additional Budget Workshop meetings may need to be added if necessary. Any dates and content are subject to change based on information available.
- Final Budget 2021-22: $10,275,635
- Spending Increase: 4.59 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: .31 percent
- Final Budget 2020-21: $9,824,370
- Spending Increase: 8.69 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 3.36 percent
- Final Budget 2019-20: $9,038,667
- Spending Increase: 3.53 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 3.75 percent
- Final Budget 2018-19: $8,730,680
- Spending Increase: 2.14 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 3.25 percent
- Final Budget 2017-18: $8,548,159
- Spending Increase: 2.54 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 1.81 percent
Residents across New York State go to the polls on the third Tuesday each May to vote on the annual school budget and elect members to the Board of Education. Voters must be 18 years old, United States citizens, and have resided in the district for at least 30 days prior to the vote. You do not need to be pre-registered in order to vote, but personal identification may be requested at the polls.
Absentee ballot information
Absentee ballots are issued, upon request, to residents of the school district who will be out of town or unable to vote in person due to illness or disability. To vote via absentee ballot, district residents must first complete and sign an absentee ballot application.
A completed application must be received by the district clerk at least seven (7) days before the election if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter or the day before the election if the ballot is to be picked up at the District Office. The ballot itself must be returned to the District Clerk no later than 5 p.m. on the day of the election.
Jeanne Mentiply | District Clerk
518-465-4561, ext. 108
Menands School District
19 Wards Lane
Menands, NY 12204
School taxes are collected on behalf of the district by the Town of Colonie Tax Department.
The STAR Program
Homeowners who meet certain eligibility requirements through the New York State School Tax Relief Program – STAR – can have a portion of their home’s assessed value exempt from school property taxes. Learn more about the STAR program.
An integral portion of school aid from New York State is disbursed as Foundation Aid. This funding was established to assist school districts in providing students with the foundation for a basic education. This aid is used for general school operations and is based on student need, enrollment and district fiscal capacity. The State has yet to distribute the full amount originally owed to districts, and aims to phase-in this funding by the 2023-24 school year. Due to changes in factors that the formula takes into consideration, the Menands UFSD was allocated an increase in this aid for school years through 2023-24. The Foundation Aid funds for the 2021-22 school year was incorporated into the budget and addressed the following:
- Eliminating the achievement gap
- Addressing student social-emotional health
- Providing adequate resources to English language learners, students with disabilities and students experiencing homelessness
The 2021-22 budget was approved by the voters of our community, and stakeholders were involved throughout the budget process by participating in budget workshops, hearings and through the voting process. This budget had an 80 percent approval rate from the community.