Public schools are among the most significant investments that any community makes collectively. District leaders work to make the most effective use of resources to benefit students, to develop and manage the budget in a responsible and transparent manner, and to be accountable to taxpayers. Each spring the Board of Education adopts a budget for the coming school year for a community vote, which is typically held on the third Tuesday in May.
2021-22 Budget Calendar
- December 14 – Present Draft 2021–22 Budget Calendar
- January 11 – Budget Workshop – Preliminary Budget Discussion
- February 8 – Budget Workshop – 2021–22 Budget Draft 1
- Tax Cap Discussion
- March 1 – Submit 2021–22 Calculation for Tax Levy limit to the Office of the State Comptroller, Tax and Finance & SED
March 8 – Budget Workshop – 2021-22 Draft 2– CANCELED
- *April 12 – Budget Workshop – 2021-22 Draft 3 Final
- *April 19 – Budget Workshop – 2021-22 Adopt the Budget
- April 20 – Property Tax Report Card/Administrator Salary Disclosure Due
- May 10 – Budget Workshop – Budget Hearing
- May 11 – Budget Notice Mailed – Final Budget Available
- May 18 – Budget Vote
*Additional Budget Workshop meetings
Schedule subject to change. Additional Budget Workshop Meetings may need to be added if necessary. Any dates and content are subject to change based on information available.
On June 16, Menands voters approved (299 to 79) by absentee ballot a $9.8 million budget for the 2020-21 school year.
- Final Budget 2019-20: $9,038,667
- Spending Increase: 3.53 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 3.75 percent
- Final Budget 2018-19: $8,730,680
- Spending Increase: 2.14 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 3.25 percent
- Final Budget 2017-18: $8,548,159
- Spending Increase: 2.54 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 1.81 percent
- Final Budget 2016-17: $8,336,436
- Spending Increase: 3.41 percent
- Tax Levy Increase: 1.36 percent
Residents across New York State go to the polls on the third Tuesday each May to vote on the annual school budget and elect members to the Board of Education. Voters must be 18 years old, United States citizens, and have resided in the district for at least 30 days prior to the vote. You do not need to be pre-registered in order to vote, but personal identification may be requested at the polls.
Absentee ballot information
Absentee ballots are issued, upon request, to residents of the school district who will be out of town or unable to vote in person due to illness or disability. To vote via absentee ballot, district residents must first complete and sign an absentee ballot application.
A completed application must be received by the district clerk at least seven (7) days before the election if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter or the day before the election if the ballot is to be picked up at the District Office. The ballot itself must be returned to the District Clerk no later than 5 p.m. on the day of the election.
Jeanne Mentiply | District Clerk
518-465-4561, ext. 108
Menands School District
19 Wards Lane
Menands, NY 12204
School taxes are collected on behalf of the district by the Town of Colonie Tax Department.
The STAR Program
Homeowners who meet certain eligibility requirements through the New York State School Tax Relief Program – STAR – can have a portion of their home’s assessed value exempt from school property taxes. Learn more about the STAR program.