The Menands School opens Kindergarten Registration in the last week of February and continues throughout the school year. Registering as early as possible is important for scheduling the upcoming school year and participating in Kindergarten warm-up week and all the fun activities that go along with it! Families that intend to register their children may access the student registration packet on our website or request a mailed copy. Upon completion, a registration appointment with the registrar is required.
To schedule a registration appointment, or if you have any registration questions, please contact:
(518)-465-4561 ext. 156
Kindergarten Information Night
In early March, the Menands School hosts a virtual kindergarten information night for families interested in registering. If you have any questions or would like more information, please reach out to Cheri Vandenberg at the contact information above.
Residency and ID Documents: Child’s Birth Certificate, Proof of Residency, Photo ID, Immunizations, Physical, Completed Registration Packet
Medical Documents: All students entering Kindergarten must be up to date with their immunizations. If you are unsure I can assist you with that determination. Additionally, they must have a current physical that is completed on the mandatory New York State physical form. A copy of that form is available on our school website. Click Departments and then Health Services. You will find the form on the right side of the page. It is called Physical/Health Certificate.
Important Information from the Nurse’s Office: If your child receives medication during school hours there is process to follow. Our school website has all of this information readily available. Please do not send your child to school with any medication. If you have any questions specific to your child I would encourage for you to either call or email me in the Health Office.
CYC After School Care
After School Program Hours: 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Program, Cost and Registration Information
The Kindergarten Team
- Getting to know your child
- Information and what to expect
Expectations for Kindergarten
- Identifies numbers
- Counts to 20
- Matches 1:1 when counting
- Recognizes colors and shapes
- Sorts objects
- Correct pencil grip
- Writes name
- Recognizes uppercase and lowercase letters
- Recognizes rhyming words
- Recognizes sight words
- Print concepts
Pupil Services Department
ENL (English as a New Language)
- Provides services to students who grow up speaking a language other than English at home.
- Eligibility is determined by an ENL teacher who will participate at kindergarten screening.
- If the home language questionnaire indicates there is a language other than English spoken at home, the child will be screened for ENL services during kindergarten screening.
Academic Intervention Services (AIS)
- Provide support in math or reading for students in addition to their current curriculum.
- Determined by student performance on local and state assessments.
- Will be a push in or pull out service.
- Students who require specialized instruction or accommodations and modifications to their curriculum due to a disability.
- Services can include speech and language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, resource room, counseling, etc.
Student Support Services
Meghan Cahill, School Social Worker
- Social/Emotional Skill Development
- Provide individual and small group counseling
- Community Resources
Cheri VandenBerg, School Counselor
- Work with all students K-8 individually, in small groups and classroom lessons
- Academic, College and Career Readiness Skills and Social/Emotional Skills
The PTA’s mission is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
Menands School PTA puts together many student events each year as well as parent workshops, fundraisers, and offers financial assist with several school run student activities.
Remaining virtual meetings for this year are Tuesday, April 12 at 6:30 p.m. and Wednesday, June 1 at 6:30p.m.
The Menands School PTA is currently looking for two new board members for the 2022-2023 school year. Board member term length is two years.
- March 4, 2022 Kindergarten Registration Begins
- Ms. Vandenberg – Registrar
- Pick up packets at the school office or call to have one mailed
- If you have a Pre-K student, you are already registered
- Kindergarten Screening
- Kindergarten Warm-up Week
- Kindergarten Meet and Greet